I know are you guys sick of hearing us talking about Diaphragm Breathing. We talk about breathing so much because it is the foundation of all movement. Heck, it is the foundation of sitting in your chair for 8 hours at work and not having neck pain!
I am going to cover the basics for diaphragm breathing and then get into different breathing patterns to facilitate optimal performance.
- Breath in through your nose and out through your nose! This activates your internal obliques and transverse abdominus for the most increased intra-abdominal pressure thus the most stabilization!
- Your chest should not rise when you are practicing breathing as this increases your tension in the upper trap, SCM thus causing neck pain
- Practice diaphragm breathing in different developmental positions prior to just standing. I.E. 90/90 on the wall, hands and knees or bear crawl position, tall kneeling, deep squat, and standing
Biomechanical breathing verse anatomical breathing
Biomechanical breathing is when you breathe in on the eccentric work and out on the concentric work. This is best used for bracing and increasing your intra-abdominal pressure to move more weight more efficiently.
Anatomical breathing is when you breathe in on the concentric work and out on the eccentric. This is best used for improving your cardiovascular efficiency. AKA not dying during the low load high volume workouts!
Let’s think of some examples of when you would use anatomical breathing
- Air squats
- Low weight, high rep or cycling the bar workouts
And now what about biomechanical breathing pattern…
- Back squat
- Front Squat
- Anything heavy or new is easier to brace with biomechanical breathing
Did you know that you can control what your brain is preserving as a threat by breathing! Thus, you can slow your heart rate, get in more reps, and feel better at end range positions all with controlling your breathing!
We are doing tons of breathing exercises and priming your central nervous system in our Crossfit Open warm-up and cool down after each release of a workout!
PURCHASE HERE: https://sso.teachable.com/secure/145588/checkout/536877/crossfit-open-2018-mobilty-warm-up
Diaphragm Breathing | Don’t miss out on the opportunity to perform and feel your best!